The Best Cellos Under $500 for Beginners
With a cello you can be a single player or become part of a big orchestra. No matter your decision, you will be delighted by the sound produced by this beautiful and romantic instrument.
So if you are decided to learn how to play the cello, you will find many options when it comes to acquire your first one. In order to help you, here is our choice of the best affordable cellos for students and beginners. Not only you will find traditional acoustic cellos but also some interesting electric options, so you can practice quietly anywhere you want.
And what is best: all of them are under $500!
Eastar EVC-1 4/4 Acoustic Cello
Eastar, as a very popular brand among music students, produces this cello with all accessories needed included in the pack.
The EVC-1 is a full size cello made of spruce wood on its panels and maple backboards, all with a matt natural finish. The neck is made with maple and contains a fingerboard with muscovite points that will guide the student, making learning much easier.
The result is a cello with a beautiful design and a stable and clear sound, perfect for beginners.
- Muscovite fingerboard point for an easy learning
- Items included: unbleached Mongolian horse hair bow, 3 rosins, cello bridge, extra strings, stand
- With a 6-month warranty
Yizhen-G 4/4 Acoustic Cello
For those looking for a decent cello at an even lower price, or if you are looking for a cello with some personality, Yizhen has made this beautiful blue instrument for beginners.
All basic accessories needed are included in this pack, such as a padded softcase with different pockets to carry your cello anywhere, or a bow made of arbor and white horsetail.
You can choose among different colors, such as white, black, or blue. All these options are treated with a fine varnish that gives the cello a shiny and elegant finish.
- Made of basswood with a maple top
- Padded soft bag, bow, rosin and bridge are included
- Different colors available: black, white, matte, blue…
D’Luca MC100-4/4 Meister Student Cello
Another full pack for beginners by D’Luca, for less than $400.
This is a cello made of maple with a rosewood fingerboard, and all accessories you may need are included. It even comes with a clip-on chromatic tuner to make sure you will always play the right note.
- Available in different sizes: 1/2, 1/4, 3/4 or 4/4
- Back neck and sides made of maple wood
- Includes a stand, a padded soft bag, extra strings, a clip-on tuner, rosin and a horsehair bow
Cecilio 4/4 CCO Student Cello
Cecilio is another trustable company when it comes to instruments for students and learners.
The CCO is a cello made to last, with a crack-proof spruce top, as well as back, neck and sides made of maple. This model is available in different beautiful colors to suit all music students.
For some peace of mind, the CCO (as well as the rest of Cecilio’s instruments) features 1-year warranty against possible manufacturer’s defects.
- Available in different metallic colors and sizes
- Features 1-year warranty against possible manufacturer defects
- Includes a padded and light softcase, a Brazilwood cello bow, a stand, an extra set of strings, and rosin
Lykos 4/4 Acoustic Cello
Lykos has one of the most affordable cellos in the market for beginners. It includes all the accessories needed to keep it in perfect conditions and start playing: a padded softbag, rosin and an arbor bow.
Made of maple spruce top, with basswood neck, back and sides, this cello will shine on your hands thanks to its beautiful golden varnish.
- Tailpiece made of aluminum alloy
- Maple spruce top and basswood sides, back and neck
- Includes a padded softcase with pockets and straps, a bow made of arbor, and rosin
Cecilio 4/4 CECO-1BK Electric Cello
The Cecilio company offers this alternative to classic acoustic cellos: an electric option for you to practice whenever and wherever you may need it, without disturbing anybody.
Available in black or brown, this electric cello is made of hand-carved maple wood with an ebony fingerboard. It features an output jack so you can play it in silence, using the headphones included, or plug it to any guitar amp.
- Powered by 9V alkaline battery (included)
- 1-year warranty against manufacturer’s defects
- Included: padded softcase, bow, rosin, aux cable and headphones
Yinfente 4/4 Electric Acoustic Cello
Another electric alternative is this one by Yinfente.
Designed in a beautiful and shiny blue color, this cello has a more traditional look than other electric models. It is made with maple wood on back, sides, and neck, with a spruce wood top.
- Hand-carved wood construction with woods matured for 10 years
- Features ebony fingerboard and pegs
- Includes: padded softbag, Brazilwood bow and rosin cake
Eastar has experience producing instruments for beginners and this cello is an example of their great craftmanship and the paid attention to details to make learning easier. An example of this is the Muscovite point you will find on its fingerboard: a guide for a perfect finger placement.
- The price
- The 6-month warranty
- The accessories included
- The bridge included may not be as perfect as expected