Top Piccolos for Students in 2020
If you are decided to learn how to play a woodwind instrument, you may have considered the piccolo to start with. A piccolo has the advantage of being shorter than an ordinary flute, which makes it easier to carry and transport.
Our recommendation for those piccolo beginners is that you find one made with durable materials so it can last longer. If it comes with all the accessories needed to keep your piccolo clean and in a perfect condition, much better. And let’s not forget about the money: as a beginner, you may not want to invest a lot on a piccolo but still want a good one that can help you advance to a more intermediate level.
We think alike. So here you can find a selection of the best piccolos for beginners, at the best price possible.
Paititi Wood Piccolo
Paititi is a branch of the Sky Music company, dedicated to produce musical instruments since 2002. Their aim is to offer low prices on their products, without sacrificing quality.
This piccolo is in the Key of C and, though made of ebonite wood, the brand claims it has the same acoustic properties of the finest grenadilla wood. A nice option for beginners and piccolo students, since it includes all accessories needed for a perfect maintenance: a high-quality case, cleaning tools and grease for the cork.
- Split E mechanism for an easier high E note
- Made of ebonite wood with a silver-plated finish
- Includes a premium case, cleaning cloth and rod, joint grease and screw
Andoer Piccolo Ottavino
If you are looking for a real bargain when purchasing a piccolo, this is what you need.
The Andoer piccolo in the key of C is made with cupronickel and includes its own padded hard case and cleaning accessories. You can even choose among different colors with silver plated buttons to suit your personality.
- Available in blue, black, purple, pink, and silver plated finish
- Made of cupronickel material
- Includes a hard case, cork grease, cleaning tools and a screwdriver
Roy Benson RBPC502
The Roy Benson piccolo may be a little more expensive than these previous options, but you will see why when you start to play it: made of Rosewood in this case, the RBPC502 produces a warm sound and rounded tone.
The silver-plated nickel head and keys give the final touch to this piccolo that comes with a two types of case: a hardcase for a perfect protection of the instrument and a soft zippered one with stripes to take your piccolo anywhere.
- Made of synthetic Rosewood material
- Features nickel-silver joint and keys
- Includes a French style hardcase with its own cover with straps
Eastar EPC-2S Silver Plated Piccolo
Eastar never disappoints when producing instruments for learners and students, achieving the finest quality for a very reasonable price.
The EPC is a silver plated cupronickel piccolo with a flawless finish. Eastar has used double bladder pads on its keys and NAS high carbon needles, upgrading the quality of this instrument even being designed for beginners. Besides, before being delivered, a professional will test the piccolo to confirm it reunites the brand’s quality standards.
The metal echo panels and the cold drawing of the sound holes achieve a better resonance, which will be reflected in its explosive and breathy sound, a delight for the ears!
- Nickel and black finishes also available
- With a whole year of after-sales service included
- Includes: hardcase with straps, cleaning cloth, rod, and swab, gloves, and fingering chart
Mendini is the main Eastar’s competitor, offering also the best prices and quality on their musical instruments that are made specially for learners.
As an example, the MPO piccolo also includes double bladder pads and an undercut beveled embouchure. The ergonomic finger brace is perfect for those musicians that still need to get used to the piccolo’s shape when playing.
The brand also offers a year warranty against possible defects, to give you some extra peace of mind when purchasing their products.
- Available in several lacquered colors, with gold or silver plated keys
- Includes a hardcase, joint grease, cleaning cloth and rod, and a pair of white gloves
- 1-year warranty against possible manufacturer’s defects
For those looking for the highest quality in a popular and trustable brand like Yamaha, no matter the price, the YPC-32 piccolo is what they are looking for.
The body, made of resistant ABS resin, features concave keys that give a nice feel to touch and facilitate a precise finger position. The split E mechanism will also improve the response of the high E note, producing a clearer sound.
The silver-plated nickel head offers a perfect sound projection in a piccolo that is worth every penny.
- Features concave contoured keys for a precise finger position
- Hardcase and cleaning rod included
- With a limited 5-year warranty, as in all Yamaha instruments
Pearl Musical Instruments is a company that started producing handmade flutes by the 1960’s. Since then, they have been researching and innovating on their productions, even creating new materials to improve their instruments.
An example of this is the grenaditte used producing their PFP105ES piccolo: a material that has all the good qualities of wood, in appearance, sound and feel, but is more resistant to shocks and changes in temperature. Besides, this model has a cylindrical head with a bulb-design head joint that offers a high wave and a precised pitch.
Another innovation of Pearl is the pinless mechanism of the silver plated keys on this piccolo, with bridges instead of pins to hold barrels and rods.
- Made with lightweight and extra-resistant grenaditte material
- Features a split-E mechanism
- Includes a French style hardcase, cleaning rod and gauze, polishing cloth, and cork grease.
Jupiter JPC1000 ABS Piccolo
Jupiter has been supporting musical education since 1930. Among their products, specially made for students and learners of all ages, we can find woodwinds and brass instrument of great quality.
The JPC1000 is a piccolo that combines ABS resin material on its body and a silver-plated nickel headjoint and keys. This combination results in a resistant instrument that will last for ages producing an excellent sound.
The conical bore of this piccolo offers a responsive tone, providing a perfect intonation and a great projection.
- Features a high responsive conical bore
- Made of ABS resin with silver-plated headjoint and keys
- Includes an ABS molded case
With a durable ABS body and metal headjoint, the RPC202 is a piccolo that comes with its own protective case and has been designed for newbies. This is reflected in its offset G system, that will make playability easier and fingering more comfortable.
The nickel-plated keys give the final touch to a piccolo that produces an excellent sound, making it suitable for stage concerts and marching bands as well.
- Made of ABS body with nickel plated keys
- Offset G for a more ergonomic finger position
- Includes a hardcase with a strap and a cleaning rod
Eastrock Nickel Plated Piccolo
The last best-priced piccolo of our list is the Eastrock’s nickel-plated one, another perfect gift for the student of piccolo.
This model comes in a kit with all the accessories needed for a perfect maintenance, including a waterproof lightweight case with straps for an easy transportation.
Eastrock cares about the quality of their products and for this reason they test their instruments twice before leaving their factory. If this was not enough, they offer a warranty against any manufacturer’s defects.
- Available in black, nickel and silver finishes
- With a warranty against any manufacturer’s defects
- Includes a hardcase, cleaning cloth and rod, swab and a pair of white gloves
Yamaha is a trustable brand with years and years of experience behind, and this piccolo is an example of the quality of their products. The company has taken into account the level of beginner players, offering a playable piccolo that favour a precise finger position for an excellent performance.
- The resistant ABS material used
- Yamaha's 5-year warranty
- The split E mechanism
- It may seem a little expensive for a starter, even being a Yamaha.