The 7 Best & Affordable Saxophone Reviews of 2020
Since the origin of the saxophone by Adolphe Sax in Belgium, around 1840. Since then, many models, prices, and saxophone brands have emerged, making it difficult when we must decide on the most suitable one for us.
We have made a list on this occasion of the best and most affordable saxophones so we can help you decide. Remember to have in mind your budget, but also your skill level, to choose always the best option for you.
Selmer SAS280 La Voix II Alto
The Selmer SAS280 is a solid copper sax with a perfect internal intonation.
Very playable, it provides an easy reach to the horn’s bottom: it features a traditional-sized bell that helps keeping the tone focused, producing a nice and high intonation.
- Made of copper body, with brass bell and keys
- With a light but sturdy Selmer La Voix II black leather custom case
- Also available in silver and with a lacquer finished version
Muslady Bb Soprano Sax
Specially made for beginners, this Bb sax features water-resistant leather pads, as well as a steel needle and comfortable keys to make learning easier.
This very affordable Muslady option is made of brass with a black nickel plated surface, and it comes with all accessories for a perfect storage and maintenance.
- Bb bent soprano sax
- Black nickel plated finish
- Includes: strap, cloth and brush, gloves, carry case and belt, mouthpiece cover
Ammoon I1923 LADE Alto
The I1923 sax has a glossy brass, engraved body that produces a rich and warm sound for a very nice price.
We love its beatiful key inlays, made of natural white shell, that add some contrast to the whole saxophone body.
- Eb E-Flat tone
- 12cm bell diameter
- Includes: hardshell carrying case, straps, a cleaning cloth and brush, and a mouthpiece
Hawk WD-S411C-BK Tenor
If you are looking for a beginner-intermediate level saxophone, Hawk has the WD-S411C for you.
We have chosen the black model, but the Hawk is also available in other different colors, bringing some personality to your saxophone sessions. Plus, it has white mother pearl inlays in its nickel keys, and leather pads, with an ebonite mouthpiece that produces a beautiful and warm sound.
- Made in China but quality inspected in the USA.
- Includes: luxury case, neck strap, mouthpiece, ligature, reed and cap
- Available in black, blue, gold, nickel and red lacquered colors.
Yamaha YAS-62 Professional Alto
Yamaha never disappoints, and its saxophones are not an exception. The YAS-62 is an example of sax with a superior quality at a reasonable price.
Since 1979, the 62 models of Yamaha have been improving, and in this example the neck has been slightly narrowed to provide a faster response and an easier flow of air. Besides, the design of the whole body and the key placement makes fingering easier.
- Lightweight but solid body
- Available in gold and also multicolored
- Includes a semi-hard case for protection and easy transport
JTS-802 Bb Tenor Saxophone
Specially made for beginner sax players, the black matte lacquered JTS-802 features a large bore and fast action keys for an easy playability, providing a full and rich intonation.
JTS saxophones are tested once at their factory and then again before being dispatched to make sure the quality is perfect, besides the 1-year of warranty included. This will give you some peace of mind when investing your money in this brand.
- Includes 1-year warranty against manufacturer’s defects
- 10 reeds of size 2.5″ included
- With a resistant hard-shell case, a metal mouthpiece, a strap, gloves and cleaning cloth & rod
Jupiter Intermediate JAS1100
The Jupiter JAS1100 is a sax with an excellent sound quality, as most of Jupiter musical instruments. With a gold-lacquered brass body and keys and an engraved bell, this sax produces a dark and vintage sound.
Some of the best features of this saxophone are also the adjustable metal thumb rest and palm keys, patented for this brand. Also its blued steel springs and metal tone boosters which makes it a pleasure to play.
- Key of Eb
- Silver-plated body also available
- Includes a backpack softcase for storage
Yamaha is still one of the most trusted brands, specially when it comes to musical instruments. The YAS-62 is an example of how well Yamaha's instruments are made, and improved as much as possible with the pass of time. A nice quality-price option if you are looking for a decent saxophone.
- Yamaha's quality
- Improved design for a faster response
- Keys may be a little sticky at first
- The case included is semi-hard