Best Euphoniums under $500 for Beginners
If you are looking for a brass instrument to start with, you’re lucky: let us introduce you to euphoniums.
Euphoniums might be confused with baritones, due to their similar shape. However, we just need to pay attention to the bore: baritone’s is cylindrical, while in the case of the euphonium it is larger and has a conical shape. This leads to a darker sound than baritones.
On the other hand, baritones have 3 valves, while euphoniums may have 3 or 4. Some of them feature a 3+1 construction that makes them more comfortable to play since you won’t have to use your pinky finger.
In this list you will find both brass and ABS plastic options, which can be an ideal alternative if you are looking for something more lightweight but as resistant as traditional euphoniums.
No matter what your preferences are: all of them are under $500, so choose your weapon!
Eastar has always been a reference when it comes to music students. They also count with euphoniums among their brass instruments, such as the EEU-380, with all the accessories needed for a perfect storage, cleaning and maintenance.
This euphonium has been made to last, featuring a phosphor copper blowpipe that offers a high response, as well as durable valves whose inner oil won’t be leaked easily. The result is a clean and bright sound with a centred tone no matter the player’s level.
- Available in gold and nickel shiny lacquer finishes with an excellent reflection
- Includes a 3-in-1 tuner, valve oil, white gloves, cleaning kit with cloth, mouthpiece and a hard case
- Eastar offers a 12-month of limited product warranty
Some people might be reluctant to choose plastic euphoniums instead of brass ones, but we find them an alternative to consider since they do their job perfectly and won’t feel so heavy in your arms.
The CEU-200 series by Cool Wind offers us this example of excellent quality plastic euphonium like this, with an elegant black finish. The 3+1 valve configuration adds even more comfort to hold and to play, since it won’t be necessary to use your pinky finger.
- ABS bell and four all-metal valves in a 3+1 configuration
- Handy water keys on four slides
- Includes large shank mouthpiece and soft gig bag
Mendini is another company to always consider when it comes to instruments for newbies and music students.
In this case, we have a B flat euphonium that features 4 top action valves with stainless steel pistons and rose-brass lead pipe, allowing its player to produce a rich sound and beautiful tone. Of course, it also comes with all accessories any learner will need, including a digital tuner-metronome and a high-quality case to keep the euphonium in perfect conditions for ages.
- Available in gold and nickel plated lacquered finishes
- Includes: silver plated mouthpiece, cloth, white gloves, deluxe hard case, and a tuner with metronome
- 1-year warranty against manufacturer’s defects
If you are looking for a real bargain, Nautical Mart offers you this euphonium for less than $400.
Specially designed for beginners or those who want to play the euphonium for fun and just need a resistant instrument that can last. Made of solid brass and with four valves that will produce a good sound quality, you may not need anything else.
- Made of solid brass
- 24″ euphonium with 4 valves
- Includes a nickel plated mouthpiece and lightweight hard case
If you prefer a 3 valve euphonium, there is another option at Nauticalmart for almost the same low price.
Made of brass with a beautiful finish in gold and black colors, this 3-valve horn also features faux mother of pearl inlaid buttons and smooth action valves to make playability easier, specially for those newbies who still need to get used to the euphonium.
- 3-valve euphonium
- Mouth pipe made of phosphorus copper
- Includes a carrying bag and a mouthpiece
If you are looking for an euphonium that resists everything, Ashthorpe brings you this one, made of durable brass with a shiny lacquer finish.
Besides its strong construction it is light enough to bring an easy playability, featuring four stainless steel pistons, a cupronickel-exterior turning pipe and a nickel plated leadpipe. In addition, for a perfect storage and maintenance, it includes a premium case among other accessories. Everything the music student need to practice on a daily basis!
- 4 stainless steel pistons
- Available in nickel color or with a gold lacquered finish
- Includes a high-quality case, polishing cloth, white gloves, and piston oil
The other plastic alternative in our list is this beautiful purple Kaizer euphonium: a lightweight but practically indestructible horn that will be the perfect option for children.
Kaizer will give you some peace of mind when investing your money with itslifetime warranty and 45-day trial. Just try it, and if you are not happy with your purchase, you get your money back.
It also includes its own soft case to carry the euphonium anywhere.
- Made of ABS body with 3+1 valve configuration
- Mouthpiece and soft travel case are included
- 45-day trial and lifetime no-hassle warranty
Mendini is always a reference when it comes to musical instruments for students and beginners. We found this euphonium a good example of the brand's quality, including the accessories needed for its perfect maintenance. It will definitely last for ages sounding as good as the first time!
- The 1-year warranty against defects
- The accessories included are high-quality
- Valves may be a little sticky at first
- The mouthpiece could be better